If you don’t have access to a VPN connection, but you want to tunnel your internet connection through an external server, you can use the SOCKS proxy settings.
- In the Terminal app, open a tunnel:
ssh -D 8080 -f -C -N firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be prompted for your password
- Then go to System Preferences and create a new location
- Click on advanced and then click on ‘Socks Proxy’
- Enter 127.0.0.1 (the localhost IP address) followed by port 8080 (internet)
- Click apply
- Your web traffic will now be routed through your server.